Even when launching VMware PowerShell CLI with administrator privileges you are still unable to start it.
Moreover, you are unable to change execution policy for the machine.
Try the following it only changes policy for current user.
Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Scope CurrentUser
While updating Windows Server 2008 was constantly thrown error code 13EC error. Despite the fact that had 2.83GB free space on hard disk I was unable to proceed with the installation. Nevertheless, extended disk space by additional 5GB and update succeeded.
Make sure you have enough disk space if you encounter this problem.
Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 get suspended or go to standby mode when are inactive for more than 5 mins. The issue is related to mobile devices which OSes were designed for and battery savings which disable some of the services such as RDP and users cannot login to machines.
In order to address the issue in VMware, a machine needs to be powered down and .vmx file needs to be modified. There are two ways of doing it:
- Directly via ssh and using text editor to append the following to <vm_name>.vmx file: suspend.disabled=”TRUE” save changes and exit file.
- Using vSphere Client by right clicking the machine and edit settings. Navigating to Options -> Advanced -> General and clicking ‘Configuration Parameters’ button. \
- Select ‘Add Row’ button.
- Name: suspend.disabled, Value: True
- Save settings and power the mahcine back on.
To updated VMware tools on Windows without reboot:
- Right click on a virtual machine
- Select ‘Guest’ -> Install/Upgrade VMware Tools
- In the pop-up dialog select ‘Automatic Tools Upgrade’ in ‘Advanced Options’ enter the following:
/S /v"/qn REBOOT=R"
- Installation can take up to 10 mins depending on your data storage performance
There are multpile ways of verifying Windows version, different command give you different data:
- Open command prompt:
- wmic os get caption
- slmgr.vbs /dli
- Open System properties window (win + break)
From time to time I receive the following error:
The remote session was disconnected because there are no Remote Desktop License Servers available to provide a license. Please contact the server administrator.
The solution is as following and should be executed on the client side:
- Run regedit.exe
- Backup (Right click -> Export) the following folder: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSLicensing
- Remove the aforementioned branch with all its content.
- Reboot the machine. (You may try without this step)
- Launch “Remote Desktop Connection” as Administrator (will recreate the folder):
– mstsc /admin
– Right click on the shortcut and “Run as Administrator”
While trying to set up my new external monitor, I’ve lost my current settings for Logitech peripherals( mouse, keyboard) via the screen USB ports.
Event after many attempts of direct connection of the USB receivers to the laptop the following errors were shown up:
Logitech Unifying Software cannot detect USB receiver:
Device Manager cannot install the drivers:
If trying to reinstall drivers the operating system cannot find them:
Next step is to check if USB driver is present in Windows folder. Navigate to C:/Windows/INF and look for USB.inf file.
If the file is missing you can download it from here:
If the User Accounts dialog doesn’t contain ‘enter password’ option you can modify registry to automatically log user on.
- Click Start type regedit.exe
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> Current Version -> Winlogon
- The entry should contain:
DefaultUserName -> Account name
DefaultPassword -> Your password
AutoAdminLogon -> 1
If the values don’t exist click Edit -> New -> String Value and create them.
- Save all the changes, reboot the machine and you will be logged in automatically.
1. Click Start button and type netplwiz in the search box. Hit enter key
2. In the Users tab uncheck the box next to Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
3. Click OK button and you will asked to provide a user name you wish to be automatically login to the sytem. Provide your password and confirm by select OK button.
From now on you will be automatically logged into Windows 7.